Thursday 24 May 2007

Oldenburg, Bakenhus and the Land of Becks -> Bremen

This is some what out of chronological order but who cares. The weather has cleared up HEAPS. Since I arrived in Oldenburg last Friday the sun has been out. I think I almost should have worn suncream when I went for a run yesterday - shock! horror! I wish I could see some more of summer before heading to cold Peru in 1.5 weeks.

Sorry Jane, I said I wouldn't post a photo, but I needed one with sun in it and besides, I think it looks good :)
(Ok, so I know that now you'll hate me but I hope you'll still want to meet me in another random place some time in the future).
This is Jane and myself at breakfast (two days with buffet breakfast on each day - definitely good value), and the next photo is Maja and I when we went for a walk with Jane along the canal here in Oldenburg.

They certainly do some weird stuff with their beer here in German, or alcohol in general. Firstly there is the Berliner Weisse, which we had already had (appropriately) in Berlin 3 years ago - beer with a green or red shot. Then there is the Altbierbowle - dark bier with strawberries floating in it. There is beer with lemondade (Alsterwasser), apple cider with soda water, apple juice with soda water, white wine with soda water, red wine with lemonade... I will have to drink some more Berliner Weisse just so I can take a photo.

Did you know that Becks (beer) comes from Bremen? I didn't, but then, I'm no beer conniseur. The things you learn.

Jane and I went to Bremen for an afternoon and went to the Univärsum. A place, sort of like Questacon, where they have displays about the Universe, The Earth and Humans, and lots of buttons to push and things to play with. This is me making bubbles! weeeeeeee!!!!

There were quite a few cool clothing shops and nice old apartment buildings in the areas we walked around. Bremen had a nice feel to it. We sat by the water and had some drinks (I had the connoction of red wine with lemonade. Some people might call it boring sangria) and listened to various bucks parties and hen's nights try to out-chant and out-drink each other.

On the day after our drive to Groningen, Maja and I hired a bike (for me) and rode to Bakenhus which is where our Oma and Opa used to live. The ride was about 30kms and took us about 3 hours because we kept stopping for photos of rivers, trees, goats, foals and to play with kittens.
(I'm happy to report there were no accidents even though, as you can see on the photo, I don't even have both hands on the handle bars)

Anyway, enough rambling on my behalf. Now it's off to Celle and the big party on Saturday night!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh well, I thought about hating you, but the sun is shining so I decide not too and am happy to meet you again in some time, how about Munich? :) Talk to you soon, or at least when you or I know, where we gonna end up in the next years or so. Love, Jane :)

Joey said...

Excellent!

Next few years? Yeah right... I'll let you know when I get there :)