Tuesday 22 May 2007

Groningen and no pancakes in Holland

I was told, by my dear cousin Maja, that she had various activities planned for us, one of which included going to Holland for pancakes. hmmm... pancakes didn't happen so much, but we did make it to Groningen. A lovely little town with pretty looking dutch girls and boys and lots and lots of bikes (like anyone will know that has been to Holland). Oh, and with lots of cute little houses and canals and other stuff.

So, as I was saying, lots of cute houses... Speaking of cute houses, I was just getting out my camera to take a photo (again) of a lovely little street, if some what deserted, when Maja sort of nudged me from the side and mumbled something. Confused I turn away and in a low voice Maja said something of which I managed to make out a few words... something about big windows ... to the ground... girls... I looked again: Indeed, there was one girl, in underpants and bra leaning out of her doorway. I put away my camera then. I'm pretty sure they would have charged me for my photos of the red light district. I certainly know they don't like it in Amsterdam.

Speaking of red lights, in our wanderings we saw signs to the Strip Museum. We laughed at this having just had the encounter with my attempt to capture protitutes in action. We walked on, seeing that our map would lead us to some museum of comics. We walk and walk... what do you know... there is the Strip Museum:

Ok, so not everything is rude in Holland.

There was also 'a piece of art that you can pee on' as the guide book told us. Snail shaped, one opening led to the ladies (WC), the other to, well 'nothing' was what Maja said as she walked in. That was just before she was scared to death by lots of little fountains aimed at the wall -> the men's toilet, we decided. This was me posing next to that particular piece of art.

Some more funny things we saw in our wanderings:
Sandwiches for sale in vending machines. Delicious.

Words that we learnt:
Sla - lettuce
Komkommer - this one I learnt for you Dale, it's your favourite animal: cumcumber!!!

Oh, and the other thing is, that part of Germany we drive through just before we get over the border is SO FLAT! If there weren't trees in the way, you could look all the way to the horizon. Trees and dusty, foggy, cloudy, smoggy looking stuff that blocks your vision.

No comments: