Thursday 7 June 2007

Leaving Lima (well.. tomorrow anyway)


I´ve spent a day in Lima and have another half left today.
Flying over the Amazon and Andes was very cool. First there was only a sea of trees... then many many fluffy clouds, then suddenly I looked down and I realised huge mountains were poking through the clouds. And then I realised we were quickly descending down the mountains, like when you´re diving and going down a wall of coral into deeper and deeper water, but we were going into a flat lake of fog. And that fog seems to be covering Lima continuously giving it a opaque white light.



Yesterday, after I woke up at 4am (photos from the roof top of my hostel at about 5:30am) I walked into the centre which was a not so picturesque walk along dirty streets and loads of traffic. I saw about a billion churches (ok, so I went into about 5) and ate all the healthy things I like such as Keke Grande and Churros!! weeeee!!! As I said to Hardy, if you don´t recognise me the next time you see me, I´ll be the donut filled with custard on legs. Maybe my legs will be two extra churros too!


Finally some time during the day the sun came out, so I went back and took some photos of the Plaza de Armes. The white church looking thing (in the photo) is La Catedral and had the skulls and bones in the crypt.


The most interesting church was the Convento San Francisco but we weren´t allowed to take photos there. We were, however, allowed (forced) to be included in a Spanish speaking guided tour. I think I understood about 5 words. Speaking of Spanish, my Spanish is soooooooo crap!!! I spent about 2 or 3 hours yesterday chatting with a girl that worked in a really touristy leather goods shop where I wanted to buy some sandles. That was an hilarious mix of hand gestures, newletters, drawings, listening to her Depeche Mode cd and a variety of other props. It was much more exciting than the conversation I had with a dude that I made the mistake of making eye contact with at the lights. It went like this: hola, what´s your name? where are you from? two kisses on my cheeks. walking next to me for aaaaages. asking me if I have a boyfriend? yes he´s at the hostel. are you travelling alone? no my boyfriend is waiting at the hostel. you are beautiful, I want to have babies with you. The funny thing was I was walking fast anyway but he was having trouble keeping up with me because he was so short.

I had better go see some more of the city. Adïos amios.

No comments: